Thursday, April 7, 2011

Radioactive What?

It all started with radioactive rain. That just never makes a good start to a day. Then my water bottle spilled all over my bag on my bike ride to work, then I banged my knee twice in a row on the same stupid shelf by my desk, then I had an incredibly long and stressful day of observed and video taped classes. My music class went okay, but by the time Hollywood Kids rolled around, I had lost my gusto and my kids had lost their "musto listen" mind-set. After the evil Fairy Beatrix burst into tears because she’s scared of her own character, I had really reached my final straw. In my second Hollywood Kids class (not observed, thank goodness), I pleaded with my 4 years olds…”Carolyn Teacher is very tired today” to which 13 voices shouted out in response “I’m sad! I’m angry! I’m bathroom!” and so on. I don’t know why I thought I could get sympathy from 4 years olds.

But alas, the day is done. My feet have never been so happy to step into my radioactive-proof rain boots (Target makes them that way, of course) and take me home.

Despite the observations, though, I hardly feel like a teacher anymore! I spend most of my days writing books, writing songs, editing, making power points for upcoming presentations... With only 2 months left here, I have a nice long "Hollywood Kids Stuff To Finish" list hanging over me. I can't wait for that moment when I'm laying on a Malaysian island this June, where the only thing on my To-Do List will be "Drink Another Pina Colada."

Along with radioactive rain (I feel as though I may be freaking some of you out at home with the continued use of that phrase -- fear not, it's highly overrated), it's also that time of year when I spend every moment outdoors scrutinizing every tree, bush, and inch of ground for signs of Spring. I perfectly timed a new resolution to “stop spending money on my lunch break!” with the changing of the seasons. Regarding the resolution: I was finding myself wandering into Starbucks nearly every lunch break recently and walking out with a $5 something-that-I-didn’t-even-want. I had to quit “lunch time money spending” cold turkey. So I stopped taking my wallet out with me all together, and I’ve instead taken to walking around the big square park thing right next to my school, eyeing excitedly the new growth of the day. Today’s recent development: cherry blossom buds on 4 trees, bright green tiny little leaves on 2 bushes, and patches of green starting to pop up through the dead grass. Progress!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

yay spring!

poor Fair Beatrix! she must be terrifying indeed... :)

Malaysian islands, that sounds nice.

Tricia said...

Whoa! I think your blog is radioactive...

Carolyn said...

He he. It was something I was trying out. But it kind of gave me a headache so I changed it...what do you think?

Tricia said...

I liked it! But I like what it is now too...