Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I Just Packed a Box

It's my first one. Box, that is. I don't know why I thought that would be a good idea. I suppose I thought I was getting a head start on things. You know, start packing things away bit by bit so that I don't feel so overwhelmed at the end.

There was a huge thunderstorm all night, and I opened my window so that I could hear the rain and the thunder while I started a big pile of things on my bed to ship home. Winter coats, sweaters, the bowl we got from Tokyo, some of my Hollywood Kids books, bits and bobs that I won't miss in the next 7 weeks...and I was feeling so organized! I felt so happy! The thunderstorm was pounding outside of my window, and I was all..."Wow, Carolyn, look at you go. So on top of things!"

But now I feel terrible! That lonely little box is just sitting in the middle of my apartment, all packed up and ready to go, the rain is still falling, and I'm all alone in my apartment, staring at the box and the small gaps it made on my shelves and in my closets, and I feel so restless and so...so...blue! I know I said I wasn't going to think about the daunting realization that I'm actually going to leave Korea, but how can I not? That irritating little box is just looking me in the face saying, "Carolyn, it's going to happen. The 'Era of Korea' is ending. It's almost time to say goodbye."

Shut up, stupid box.

Will not be doing any more packing for awhile.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

:(

Sara Katherine said...

How long have you been there? I love your blog. I just found it:)!