Friday, March 25, 2011

2 Hours!

Tomorrow, I have to give a 2 hour presentation on "teaching English through the arts." It's not the usual presentations I do for Feinschule teachers across Korea. This time, I'm presenting to adult students studying English Education at a University in Suwon, about an 1 1/2 away from where I live. I'll be presenting the Hollywood Kids program, with the emphasis being on how to teach children English through drama and music. I'm excited! This is a topic I really care about! Good thing I have a whoppin' 2 HOURS to talk about it! Seriously, how does one present for 2 hours straight? As Ali said today in disbelief..."2 HOURS!?!? Not even the president talks for 2 hours straight! Do they get a bathroom break?" (Which led me to immediately grab my presentation notes and insert "bathroom break" in the middle.) Let's be honest, I'm not even sure how much they're going to understand me. Apparently, I'm the first foreigner to present to these students. (Immediate bonus points for being blonde! Whoop whoop!) So how does one go about filling 2 hours on one topic? Videos! When in doubt, show a bunch of cute kids doing something...cute! So along with videos of the entire teaching process of Hollywood kids (ya know -- flashcard games, working on their lines, practicing on stage, etc.), I will also end my presentation with the full performances of The Jungle Book and Three Little Pigs that we did in February. Booyah! Immediate time-filler!

Which reminds me, I never showed you Three Little Pigs. So here it is! The first minute and half, nothing happens except trying to get the kids to line up on the stage properly. (Keep in mind, this is Level 1! Some of these kids are only 3 years old!) So feel free to jump ahead. It was pretty chaotic -- this was the first time they had ever worn their costumes...so, ya. There were some interesting moments.

1 comment:

Mom said...

That is SO darling!