Friday, April 22, 2011

The Final Countdown

No! I don't want to think about it! Don't make me! Ok, so I'm not thinking about the fact that I'm leaving Korea in (eeeek!) less than 8 weeks. However, what I am thinking about is all the Korea-ness that I want to soak in before I go. So this week, I made my "Must Not Leave Korea Without Doing This" list. It's extensive. It's ambitious. But I'll give it my best shot. And to keep me motivated, I'll try to post my progress.

The "Must Not Leave Korea Without Doing This" List
  1. Hike to the peak of Bukhansan (Bukhan Mountain).
  2. Visit Changdeok Palace.
  3. In one day, visit the contemporary art museum, the zoo, and Seoul Grand Park (they're all really close together).
  4. DMZ!
  5. Do an overnight temple stay.
  6. Spend a weekend in Muiido (an island off the western coast) with as many friends as possible and stay in the little huts on the beach that we fell in love with during Chuseok a year and a half ago.
  7. Hongdae Night Out: hit up our old time favorites--Agio, Misses Mai, Gr8 Hookah, and Club FF.
  8. "Seoul Photo Shoot" -- a one day Seoul "walk-about" to take as many pictures as possible! Ok deep breathe...Gyeongbeokgung Palace, the Blue House, Samcheongdong, Insadong, Jongo Stream, Dongdaemun, and Dinner at Everest (our favorite Nepalese restaurant). Yes, we can do that in a day.
  9. Spend a Sunday night at the Lake Park Musical Fountain, just like Ali and I did almost 3 years ago on Ali's first night in Korea. As we walked up through lake park, we heard music in the distance and started running toward it and suddenly, we broke through the trees and heard "All you Need is Love..." playing as the musical fountain put on a colorful dance routine to the song. We turned to gaze into each other's eyes and knew instantly that...Love really IS all you need! (Cue audience: Awwwwwww!) Yes, that really happened.
  10. And speaking of the musical fountain, spend an afternoon at our little grassy spot we always sit at in the summer and have a picnic.
  11. Bike along the Han river.
  12. Bike around the countryside of Ilsan.
  13. Get a manicure! (Because I won't be getting one for a loooooong time after I leave Korea. Unless the States are now offering top grade manicures for $1o as well...)
  14. Afternoon outing: coffee at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf followed by movie at the CGV (this is for sentimental value.)
  15. Beers at the GS! (The GS is the name of the little corner shops in Korea with plastic chairs and tables outside.)
  16. Go to the Yangsan Electronics Market. I don't know why this is on my list, because I HATE that place. There's nothing I find more agonizing than heckling with a little Korean man for a good deal on an electronic something or other. But I do need a new hard drive, so on the list it stays.
  17. Revisit the top of Namsan Tower, followed by yummy beers at Craftworks Brewery.
  18. Jimjilbong! (Korean Sauna) At least once more.

No comments: