Monday, November 23, 2009

Down again down again, jiggety jig.

This week marks the end of another semester at Kookje English Village, which means final tests, report cards, speech contests, and 'market day' (where we throw a mini carnival and they get to spend the fake money we give them when they get enough stamps from doing their homework.) Finishing my second semester here also means I'm at the half-way mark of my contract. 6 months down. 6 months to go. It's all downhill from here. Downhill to....well, I don't know what's at the end of the hill, but either way, ready or not, I'm on my way to the bottom. Lately I'm feeling a little anxious about the, once again, unknown of my future. I'm applying to schools in 3 different countries, I have a boyfriend from Europe, and I'm currently living in Asia, which means that I could be living just about anywhere a year from now. I wonder when I'll be in a place that I'll actually stay for awhile. Sometimes I feel like it'd be nice.

Regardless, I'm making the most of my life at present. I had a really great weekend. Friday night, we went to a new little Italian cafe near me, then out with friends to a punk-ish bar in Ilsan. Saturday brought a couple of episodes of Friday Night Lights (2 episodes away from finishing season 1!!!! Will the Dillon Panther's win state? Will Coach Taylor take the job in Austin? Will Tim Riggins get any hotter???), a tea and walk through lake park, thai food at Budha's Belly in Itaewon with John and Amanda, then a trip down to Bundang (South Seoul) to the Mosaic Cafe for their Art Night. The Mosaic cafe is run by foreigners and meant to be a cultural relief and it WAS!!! Just the cultural relief I needed lately! I felt like I was at the Humble Bean back at Dordt, or in a modern little cafe in Chicago, or at any ole cafe NOT in Korea! It was packed with foreigners and had performances all night, one by a friend of mine. I got to see Sarah Jane and Reuben and other friends from Bundang. Sunday Ali and I went to a cool little puzzle cafe in Ilsan, where you get to sip your coffee and tea (or beer and cocktail--not conducive to puzzles in my opinion) over a puzzle of your choice. What a fantastic idea!!!

I'm trying to get a good start to my busy week, and instead I spent the night looking for Christmas gift ideas online! Doh!

No comments: