Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Kimchi and Things

Among the many things I will miss about Korea, Kimchi is not one of them! I never quite warmed up to this spicy pickled cabbage that Koreans eat with every meal. And I mean every. single. meal. I wish I liked it because it's been labeled one of the top 5 healthiest foods in the world.
I will, however, miss galby -- Korean barbeque. It's sooooo yummy.
But back to foods I won't miss: like bland noodle soup and dokbooki,
which are chewy rice cakes in, what else, spicy sauce!
And here's a food I will miss, but my poor tummy will not: Neck bone soup. It's neck bone meat with strange vegetables in a spicy broth that for some reason tastes delicious, but never fails to make me spend most of the following morning in the loo. What I will DEFINITELY miss is eating all of this with good friends. Here, Will,
Steph, Ali, and I are eating neck bone soup at the famous joint in Haengsin,
right around the corner from where all three of them live.

3 comments:

Oreleona said...

gahhh i love kimchi!!! and anything korean lol the food looks soo good

ProfessorTango said...

Completely agreed on all but the neck bone soup (just because I don't know if I've tried it or not...what's it called in Korean?). I have sorely missed group meals, but I guess that's more incentive for dinner parties, right?

Carolyn said...

Ah, dinner parties, how I've missed these! Something that don't work too well in the tiny little boxes Koreans call apartments.