Monday, July 21, 2008

roar.

if i have to walk out my door to a giant disgusting drooling monster of heat and humidty one more day, i just may build a cacoon in my nicely air conditioned apartment and not come out until the morning of august 17 when i fly out of this wretched sauna and into...the even hotter sauna of thailand. but seriously, every day i wake up and look out my window to the same thing. gray skies, rain on my windows, drooping koreans loathing every minute they spend in between one air conditioned building and the next. it's so depressing! go away rainy season!

so maybe it's largely due to the gloomy and oppressive weather, but i have suddenly been hit with this urgent longing for the next month to whiz on by so i can be off to my travel adventures and then home! my entire family is vacationing in seattle this week, and it's suddenly made me so eager to see them!

my new job is pretty good. since i'm only here a month, i've decided to be affected by the small annoyances of yet another new school as little as possible. i have no breaks today? oh well, shake it off, atleast the day will go faster. you want me to work till 8 even though i told you i can never work past 7? hmmm, that's irritating. but atleast i got to sleep in an hour later. you want me to work half my day at a kindergarten down the road? whatever, just tell me where to go, and i'll put my teacher face on. basically, i'm completely uninvested in this school, which makes it easy not to get upset about the unorganization..ness. :) (if i ever come back to korea, i will defintely only be working for a school that has been opened atleast 5 years...) the truth is that i'm just grateful i found a job the last month i am here! so i can stand to be a little flexible i think...

friday night ali and i went out to hongdae for dinner and dancing...we went to the same club that we danced at last weekend for debbie's birthday and i must say, hongdae and dancing may just be two of the things i miss most about korea. i figured out yesterday that i only have 3 full weekends left. next week we're going to a music festival to see the band kasabian, and the 3rd weekend will be my goodbye party, so i'm suddenly filled with this frantic urgency to do as much as possible in the time i have left combined with a sort of emotional seperation from this place to prepare myself for leaving. the ends of things are always so strange...

1 comment:

lisa said...

Dearest Carolyn, I sympathize with your sentiments of packing up a home into a few boxes and leaving. seems odd to believe that the things you're allowed to bring with you hardly matter in perspective of all the acquaintences and times well spent in neat places. i will be leaving Illinois for school in a bit shy of two weeks,and I cannot help but be a mite sad. i am excited to see you again, and meeting Ali will be fun. love,lise