Tuesday, September 18, 2007

a lainy day.

for all who have seen the movie "lost in translation" (my favorite movie and also where the title of my blog comes from), you will remember the hillarious moments when bob harris cannot understand the crazy japanese people trying to speak words that begin with "r." "lip my stockings!" "what, lip your stockings?" "yes, lip my stockings!" "lip them? lip them?" or "lock and loll." well, i am hear to tell you as an american living in asia who, when asking her students what the weather is like today, gets a room full of "LAINY!!! LAINY!!!!" that the movie was very much telling the truth.

tomorrow, tango pango (my school--funny name, huh) is adding a music program. who is in charge of this music program? me of course. they believe that having music be a large part of their school will make them unique from other english schools and will boast enrollment. so every class will have 25 minutes of music and i will be the teacher. so i have suddenly landed myself in the roll of setting up an entire music program for the whole school and teaching all 135 kids music. but music as a way of teaching them english. so english. through music. i have my own music room, and they said i can do whatever i want. i get to make my own lesson plans, decorate my own room how i want, and i can even put a totally cliche sign on the door that says "welcome to the music room" in bubble letters with little clef signs and time signatures and cartoon directors waving a wand decorating the paper. so even though they might change their minds in 2 weeks and i might be doing something totally different (because that is sort of what this school does--very irritating), i am going to throw myself into this and hope for the best. i'm really excited. as i was sitting on my piano bench playing through a few different songs and writing out a lesson plan (i have lots and lots of music curriculum for kids this age), i felt a surge of joy that i get to teach english to these little kiddies using the thing i love the most. the school has all these big ideas that i can start teaching piano classes and violin classes and teaching musicals and having concerts and programs and i feel a little overwhelmed. but mostly excited at the possibilities! ya! i am teaching music again! it's good to be back.

2 comments:

Pedro Baena Luna said...

ooohhh Its wonderful¡¡¡.. Lost in translation is my favourite movie¡¡¡ greetings

Bronton said...

I don't know if you remember our exchange student Hwa, but she had the same "accent" (can you call it that?) the few times she actually spoke to us.

This music stuff sounds exciting! Lessons and musicals and everything else? Can they expect one person to do all that? You're up for the challenge, though.

As for my housewarming party, if you can find a plane ticket to Minneapolis for the weekend of September 29, you're most certainly invited!