Friday, September 7, 2007

chopsticks.

i have decided that one of my favorite things about korea is the excessive use of chopsticks. in my apartment, i currently have one fork, one spoon, one knife, and about 50 sets of chopsticks. i have never used chopsticks to eat so many things. chopsticks for eggs, chopsticks for chicken, chopsticks for ramen, chopsticks for fruit, chopsticks for my juice i drink in the morning. ok, not this last one, but i have a feeling that's the next step. i thought this was such a great picture, a bunch of construction workers on their lunch break. where in america would you see tough, dirty construction men gathered around bowls of rice and vegetables, sitting indian style, sharing their lunch with, ofcourse, chopsticks.

week two has been much better. my apartment is really coming together. i bought about 25 candles the other day, and a few plants, and some paint, and i'm going to paint myself some picture frames for the pictures i brought along. it makes living along much more less alone-ish. i've never lived alone before. it's hard sometimes--i've resorted to waking up in the morning and telling my shower head about my funny dream from the night before. or coming home from work and telling my wooden spoon mixing my stir-fry about my crazy boss. i'm sure my house hold utensils really appreciate my company.

here are the things i miss most about chicago (other than all the people):

1. my bike. oh my poor bike, if you could only be here with me in korea. we would be best friends. i found a bike in the garbage the other day. it needs a new tire and has a huge basket on the back. not exactly my speedy little specialized sirrus. but the basket will be nice for groceries i guess.
2. trader joes. the other day i spent 2 hours grocery shopping b/c i have no idea where anything is, what's organic, what ingredients are in what, what juice is 100%. it's no 30 minute buy-everything-you'll-need-for-the-next-2-weeks-and-love-life-cuz-it's-all-organic-and-natural trader joes trip. all you back in chicago, give trader joes a big hello from me.
3. jay-walking. walkers follow the rules here. crazy, huh? everyone waits till the little walk sign turns green. it's the most in-efficient form of getting from here to there i've ever experienced. there are no cars in sight for miles, and still the koreans sit there, waiting for their little walk sign. i, ofcourse, jet across in every situation possible, and they all look at me, then look at the the "no walk" sign in red and then look at me again, and then at the sign. as if to say, "DO YOU NOT SEE THE NO WALK SIGN!" some just flat out start yelling at me in korean. whatever, korea, you'll catch on. just wait till you see how much time i save...

No comments: