Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sweater Weather? Not Yet.

Yesterday was the first day since last spring that the high was less than 80 degrees. It was a crisp, chilly 77! But it was enough for me to run home after school and immediately scrounge through the depths of my big pink suitcase for the winter clothes I packed away last April. I realize that I may be getting ahead of myself – 77 degrees is not exactly wool sweater weather, but after the never-ending heat and humidity this summer, I am ready to jump, head first, into a change in seasons.

So, I did my bi-annual sorting of the clothes and hesitantly parted ways with those that have been hibernating in my drawers for too long to justify another season of non-use. Then, I promptly headed to my favorite (and only) clothing store nearby that has cool clothes that actually FIT. They’ve finally started carrying jeans above a size 27. YA! My intentions were great – there was now so much space in my closet for all of the new fall clothes that were calling my name! After an hour and about 17 in-and-outs of the dressing room, I left with a new bag. Better luck next time.

I also made an excursion to the dentist yesterday to get a much-needed cleaning. Or as they call it in Korea, “scaling.” Why can’t they just call it cleaning? Scaling sounds like something you do to a fish when trying to separate the skin from the bone. So anyway, they “scaled” my teeth, which basically consisted of the dental assistant taking a malicious looking little drill and voyaging farther into my gums than any dentist has ever explored. My poor gums. So vulnerable. So exposed! Fortunately, it only lasted 15 minutes. Which left me with the same feeling that I had last time I went to the dentist and had a cavity filled in 2 minutes flat -- Is that it? Are you sure you did everything? Wouldn’t you just like to fiddle around in my mouth a bit longer just to make me feel like I’m getting my money’s worth? But I’m not complaining. The less time I have to spend with gadgets and drills exploiting the privacy of my mouth, the better.

4 comments:

DebinNZ said...

where do you enjoy shopping Carolyn? I'm a big fan of Hug A Tree in Western Dom myself. The ladies there know me by name. Lol. And I have to agree, I was sooo happy yesterday was a chilly 77...it was beautiful.

Carolyn said...

Codes Combine! At the end of Westerndom by the fountain. My favorite!!!

lisa said...

I love autumn! You're definitely not too soon- ever. We've been talking about pumpkin spice lattes around Chicagoland lately. YUM.
Also, today Jen, Tricia, and i ran 3 miles and thought of you... wishing you were around to cheer us on and engage in some Australian pursuit with us.

the word verification is "prost". doesn't that mean cheers in German or something?

Nedemgirl said...

Very beautiful pictures, and that bear is so cute and cuddly :-)