Thursday, April 22, 2010

Observe My Class

I don't think there's anything more awkward and unnatural than trying to teach while a group of 'observers' watch your every move taking notes. One of the many privileges (because there's so many...ha!) of being the head branch of a 40 school franchise is all of the many schools that come watch our classes with the hopes of learning how to teach the curriculum. It. Sucks. They sit in the back of the classroom staring at me the entire time. Meanwhile, I'm trying to act 'normal' and 'natural' which, let's face it, just doesn't happen when other teachers are observing everything you do.

Here's what a normal class for me looks like: I spend a good chunk of it yelling and using fear as a tactic of discipline (you're not allowed to judge until you try to put on a play with a class of 4 year olds who don't speak your language), and using bribery in the form of stickers to get kids to do what I say. These sorts of things just don't fly when teachers have flown all the way from the south coast of Korea to get useful teaching tips.

This, along with the non-stop video taping of classes (which are then uploaded to the website and has in turn made me famous in the world of Feinschule) has really turned me into a much less effective teacher. How am I supposed to get kids to learn when I can't yell and give them the glare of death when they aren't listening?

Seriously.

No comments: