Thursday, April 8, 2010

Jump

Anytime I take a little blogging hiatus, I have such a hard time jumping back in. But what else if there to do, other than to jump. So here I go.

Spring is finally here, just barely. It’s not exactly ‘pack away your coats and socks’ weather, but there’s definitely hints of life around—both in nature and in people’s spirits. The other day, I went running around lake park and was very carefully scrutinizing every branch and square inch of earth for signs of green. Or any color for that matter. It seems to be coming a lot slower than I remember from living here a couple of years ago…

Things have been a little rough here the past while as I’ve been battling with upcoming decisions and figuring out, YET AGAIN, what we’re going to do next. I was accepted into grad school at Columbia College in Chicago (I’m going back for a Master in Arts Adminstration), which has led Ali and I to be forced with the very dreaded and avoided process of making another decision about our futures. I’ve been in Korea for a month short of a year already, and was supposed to be ending my contract at the end of May. But with my school closing right before Christmas and me frantically and necessarily finding a new job, my contract now ends next Christmas. So unless I want to break that and unless Ali and I are actually going to figure something out and be ready to live in Chicago in 4 months, I think grad school in the fall is something I just need to put out of my mind for now. I just don’t think it’s gonna happen. Lately, I’ve been reminded of how vulnerable our situation is. Korea is like this happy little bubble, where you so easily forget what things are like in the real world. We’re now looking at a program in Brisbane Australia and the Queensland University of Technology, where we could both get a Master in our individual artistic fields. But as with EVERYTHING, it’s not just as easy as it seems. I’m now working on hiring an evaluation service so that we can ensure this masters degree is the equivalent of a masters degree back home. What’s the point of moving half way across the world for a degree that means nothing where we actually want to live?

I love traveling. I love adventure. I love new things and new places. But I would also, so so so love to have some roots and something not so…temporary. But I suppose this is what your 20s are for. (I think Carrie Bradshaw said something like that…)

No comments: