Friday, February 11, 2011

Once Upon a Time, I had a Life

Ah, life, WHY?!? That's what I’ve been asking myself the last 6 weeks. Since coming back to Korea after Christmas, life has taken a turn for the “OMG I’m Freaking Out!” thanks to a ridiculously busy work schedule and a blissful (ha!) online accounting course that I have to take as a prerequisite for grad school next fall. I was never a big fan of numbers, unless it pertains to the amount of vacation days I get per year, the amount of episodes of Friday Night Lights I manage to watch in a week, the amount of bread rolls I get for free when eating out…but I’m particularly not a fan of numbers when it means entering them into spreadsheets for hours at a time. This is really not the part of my arts management degree that I’m looking forward to. I’m more about the “arts” than the “management”… (and if you’re wondering if this leads me to question whether or not I’m doing the right masters program, the answer is “YES!” Please, oh please, don’t make me do more accounting, arts management degree!)

So I squeeze in my accounting course into mornings (I’ve turned into an “early riser,” readers!), evenings, and weekends, and try to survive the busiest two months of work in my life! Two huge presentations (one finished, one next week), both on Saturdays, a huge graduation festival with two drama performances to prepare for (again, on Saturday! Yes, Feinschule, take away my weekends! Who needs free time?), and trying to keep up with writing all the books and the music for 3 more levels of Hollywood Kids, since the WHOLE curriculum must be finished before I leave in June.

I feel pulled in so many directions! I literally have no down time, I’m racing around work every moment with a “to do” list longer than Barbara Streisand’s nose (a few more Barbara jokes like this and I'll be next in line for the latest member of Glee!) and every day, a new problem arises like...how will we the tiny little 5-year-old Big Bad Wolf in Three Little Pigs blow down the house when he can barely tie his own shoes? And on that note, we have no houses for him to blow down in the first place! Or...what costume will Mowgli where in the Jungle Book since his attire is literally a pair of red undies. Or...why doesn't my mac EVER work when I do a presentation and why doesn't anyone in Korea know anything about macs?!?

March, will you ever arrive?

However, I was given a little “oasis” in the craziness last week, when Ali and I spent 5 days in Tokyo for Lunar New Year! Tokyo = coolest city ever! We also celebrated our "3 years ago we met in Beijing" anniversary while there. More on this to come, but here’s a little sneak peak. Sarah Jane and Reuben let us borrow their SLR camera because we haven’t had time to get one and because they’re awesome. Enjoy the "teaser" pictures!



7 comments:

Amanda said...

tokyo does indeed look very cool.

wishing you luck surviving the next few weeks! you'll make it - you always do! :)

Tricia said...

Carolyn,

Great use of the rule of thirds, leading lines, unique angles and framing in those pictures. (can you tell I started my photography class last night!?!?!?!?!)

Carolyn said...

Amanda -- thanks for the encouragement!

Tricia -- Hooray! You started your class! Can't wait for you to teach me all you know...

Mom said...

Grandma VP and I loved your blog entry and the pictures. You will do a great job on everything in spite of the busyness--you always do!

Carolyn said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Mom and Grandma! :)

Margaret said...

Pictures look amazing. I can't wait to see the other ones! I have wanted to visit Tokyo for a long time, one day I'll get there!

I know what you mean about no time for the 400 things you need to do. Seems impossible... but somehow we manage :) Hang in there!!

Carolyn said...

Yes, Margaret, the price we pay for ambition, I guess! And you should definitely go to Tokyo someday -- one of the coolest cities I've been to.