Monday, March 8, 2010

Raw Meat in a Lion's Den

I found myself flipping through channels on the treadmill tonight, and I suddenly stumbled on an episode of Glee. I've never seen more than a few youtube clips of Glee (notably, the one where the football team does 'Single Ladies'--thank you, sisters), and I was more than pleasantly surprised to have something to watch while getting through my Monday 5K. It wasn't on my list of 'occasionally have stuff in English' channels, and I totally felt like it was a real find. Who knew that 20 minutes of TV filled with pop tunes could be...so...GOOD. I cried on minute 26, all the way to minute 28 1/2. (Which did not go unnoticed by the glaring, suspicious old woman on my right) It was the one where some blonde girl was pregnant and some brunette girl sang Jordan Sparks' 'Breathe.' I have totally found a new show to download.

I also found myself at the dentist recently, and let me tell you, Korean's know how to do teeth. I went in, got checked, had a cavity, got said cavity filled, and paid less than $8. The best part was that the dreaded filling of the cavity took...prepare yourself...2 MINUTES!!!! It went something like this: Dentist: "Ok, time. Raise left hand when pain." Me: "Wait! Where's my novacaine shot! WHERE'S MY NOVACAINE SHOT!!!!" And believe it or not, that dude had me in and out of the chair in 2 minutes flat. I guess it's this new technology where they cut out the cavity with laser drills or something. I made him give me a mirror and show me exactly where he had done the filling afterward. I was in disbelief. But sure enough, 8$ later, I had a happy tooth. Adding 'Korean Dentist Bills' to my list of things I like about Korea...

I had the music class from hell today. I kid you not. You know it's bad when you find yourself yelling things like.."Celine! Stop unbuttoning my shirt!" and "Yoony! DO NOT EAT THE EGG SHAKER!" and "Irene! Do not poke out Chuck's eye with the triangle stick!!!!" and "Dear Jesus, save me...SAVE ME!!!" I finally gave up as I looked around and realized that this had gone from struggling music class to feeding time in a lion's den. Me being the raw meat. 12 kids, not one who understood "sit in a circle," and not one who felt scared by my usually effective yelling of "3...2...1..." Clearly, they are smart enough to know that after I finish the "1", nothing really happens. It was chaos. It was worse than chaos. It was mad anarchy. Next time, I will be fully armed...with sticker sheets and candy.

3 comments:

Katie Wiersma said...

p.s. nolan is even a fan of Glee :) Got to love it.

Amanda said...

haha! this is why i did not want ever to even consider becoming a teacher. :)

Carolyn said...

Nolan must have good taste!

And Amanda, I hear ya! This is why teaching is not my primary career goal...