Monday, October 8, 2007

hello autumn.

this morning i woke up, a half an hour before my alarm rang, as per usual, and found myself bundled in my covers and squeezing my pillow a little tighter than usual. and after laying there in a half sleep waiting for my alarm to ring, i wrapped my feet in the bottom of my blankets and brought my covers up to my chin a little closer. i finally dragged myself from my cocoon of warmth and walked down my little flight of stairs and felt a different sort of breeze coming from my open windows. i turned my shower head as hot as it would go, and stayed underneath the warm water a little longer than usual.

when i walked out the door 45 minutes later and into the october sun, my suspicions were confirmed: fall is here. it's like the whole energy of the air changed overnight. and i LOVE it!!! scarfs, wearing long sleeves when i run, watching people sip their coffee to warm up (i can't drink coffee, so i live vicariously through others...), wearing tights under my skirts. and so tonight i celebrated the coming of fall by cooking sweet potatoes and baking a pumpkin for dinner. mmmm. fall tastes good too.

yesturday, justin and adam (my two friends from busan) were up in seoul, and so we spent the day together climbing mt. namsan, a mountain (or some would call it a really large hill) smack dab in the middle of seoul. it was a good trek up, and very very beautiful. a few trees have started turning colors here, and i just love being in nature. at the top is the seoul tower and a FABULOUS view of the city. i didn't realize there were so many mountains in and around seoul! we also witnessed some sort of korean festival taking place at the top of the mountain, complete with dancing geisha girls, pig sacrifices, and...well, i really couldn't stop watching the pig sacrificing to be quite honest. they had about 6 dead pigs on a table and they would them one by one and place them on this pole this and then people would come up and stuff money in its mouth and bow to it, and then suddenly, they would push the pole and the pig would slide off and lay strewn on the ground. there was a lot of head tilting and burrowed eyebrows happening from the three of us.

it was my mom's birthday on saturday!!! happy birthday mom!!!

1 comment:

Rachel:) said...

Wow Carolyn, it sounds like you have been having some adventures. Sad about nmot being able to drink coffee though, that would make me cry. BUt the pig thing, i think i would have a tough time with that, it sounds like an adventure!:) I loved Portland, nice city, and i got to see Carlee and Charity! It was awsome! How is teaching going?